Sunday 11 July 2010

Its a sad day for me and my dragonfly

So with the little choice I have and the expense of other options like shipping and flying my motorbike with money I don't have to India. I have found an Afghani to buy my Dragonfly and then I shall now fly from Herat to Kabul and then Kabul to India. Hopefully with the cash I get I can afford to buy an old Enfield and join the great Mr Cassey and continue the wild adventures of this overland travel experience in India.

Afghanistan is amazing, I am having such a good time, apart from not being able to head into the Mountains due to the Taliban or even traveling out of Herat. But the people and their smiles and curiosity and hospitality is great. We are camped in a dust bowl on the river south of Herat, its a great spot apart from the winds which constantly cover everything in dust and sand. We have the Spanish Military looking after us too and they are trying to find out all options possible to get the Spanish crew out of Afghanistan.

Every now and then you hear a bomb blast or some firring but we are pretty safe here. However its time to leave as you never know who is and where the Taliban are. Its been a fantastic experience here but in a day or two I fly to Delhi. I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope I haven't worried to many people about entering Afghanistan, I'm kind of happy they didn't let us into Pakistan, because where I wanted to go I could have easily have disappeared. Afghanistan is actually safer that Pakistan right now and all the boarders.... who knows what could have happened.

So I'm safe and well but its sad to part with my dragonfly.... very sad, I may have a wee cry now but to be honest its not the materialistic connection, its all the travels we have shared together and great experiences we have shared.

Farewell my dragonfly..... I'm going to miss you.

3 comments:

  1. That is completely crap. But, I'm very glad to hear that you decided not to go through Afghanistan/Pakistan. Have fun in India, and keep the stories coming. The story get's more intriguing by the day.

    Hope you got some photos from Afghanistan.
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH - so happy you are flying to India. Sorry about Dragon Fly but hello Enfield! Look forward to next instalment. Love Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mate sorry to read the departure from old dragon fly, though, its kind of cool to think that a totally stoked Afghani will be belting around the desert dodging dirty tallies! Stay safe mate and cant wait to meet the next ride!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete